The Biological Society was established in 1954. The founding members of the Society were Dr. Sultan Ahmad, Dr. Muzzafar Ahmed, Dr. Abu-Baker, Prof. Ahsan-ul-Islam and Prof. Wais Hussain Bokhari. The Society launched what was later to become an international research journal – "The Biologia” – in June, 1955. Today, the journal is subscribed to by libraries in the UK, the US, Canada, Indonesia, Brazil, Jordan, Sudan, France, Saudi Arabia, India and the Netherlands.
The Biological Society arranges seminars and lectures on a wide variety of topics. It often asks scholars to present their scientific works before students. The Biological Society has published many monographs which serve as reference material for students and researchers.
The Department of Botany initiated research in two major research fields in 2001 at the Postgraduate level:
• Environmental Science
• Industrial Biotechnology
The Department has been publishing its research journal The Biologia for 51 years. This journal is an organ of the Biological Society of Pakistan which is headquartered here at GC University Lahore.